Comments on A documentary on spraying aerosols to modify the weather
For context. On a recent blog post by Dr. Jeff Masters, a wunderground member made a comment about waking up to chemtrails in the morning, and sarcastically added how it was a delight to be inhaling more aluminum. They later posted a link to a youtube video of a documentary that would "open you eyes to this conspiracy". After watching it, I had a lengthy list of questions and contentions with this documentary, in terms of its scientific content and the feasibility of the theories it presents.
They mention HAARP and how it's radiation can be focused to change the polarization of and warm the ionosphere. As far as I know (so I could very well be wrong) such effects have not been observed through satellite estimates, in fact the opposite has been observed - a cooling/stable temperature of the ionosphere which is better explained by CO2 emissions trapping heat in the troposphere and lower atmosphere.
Additionally there were a few meteorological oddities they mentioned that I had contention with; including:
* claims that temperature shifts from 80F one day to 50F the next with snow are becoming more frequent because of aerosol spraying - I would have thought this is a fairly common occurrence in the great plains where foehn winds or southerly winds ahead of approaching cold fronts can warm the air significantly, and northerly winds behind the cold front cool it down significantly.
* more frequent reports of snow at 45-50F - I haven't heard of such reports and would have thought they would be news worthy.
claims that rainfall rates over 1"/hour are rare - this isn't rare as far as I know, however the rates of >1"/minute sound ridiculous and I haven't heard of any of those so...
* claims that moisture for tornadoes in tornado alley comes mainly from the pacific not the gulf of mexico - This was brought up because they claimed that aerosols acting as condensation nuclei for cloud formation dispersed more and didn't form clouds and precipitate over the Rocky Mountains so that moisture could be precipitated over the Mississippi valley. In my mind, if the rocky mountains can't squeeze the moisture out of the air, a cold front in tornado alley can't either. I was also under the impression that dry air descending into the mississippi valley from the rockies was a major ingredient (along with gulf of mexico moisture) in the formation of tornadic thunderstorms.
* claims that hail the size of baseballs is becoming more frequent - I have heard no such reports, in fact, if I'm not mistaken, the SPC released a report saying this has decreased/been static despite increased reporting of hail due to an increase in storm spotters. Although, fitting in with their documentary, this could be a government cover up being that SPC is a government agency.Even harder to believe was their explanation that HAARP was increasing the strength of updrafts in thunderstorms, couldn't a warmer surface plus same temperature upper atmosphere increase instability and increase the strength of thunderstorm updrafts - if this indeed were occurring?
* claims that tornadoes in central florida are rare - along with being the lightning capitol of North America, central florida is not a stranger to tornadic activity, from both spring/winter storms and tropical storms.
* claims that adding more condensation nuclei into the atmosphere is creating drought because water droplets can't concentrate into clouds - this is ludicrous, more condensation nuclei means more condensation opportunities, more water droplets means more likelihood of them colliding with each other and becoming large enough to be cloud droplets and then rain droplets. I would like them to further explain their theory of drought from increase condensation nuclei.
I'm not necessarily saying that these are all false, they just sound sketchy and I'm giving reasons for why I feel that way - I haven't looked deeply into them, having only just watched the documentary.
I also want to point out that what they are calling chemtrails (caused by chemical releasing devices on the wings of planes) could just as easily be described as contrails (condensation that forms because of convergence and differences/changes in pressure on the back side of the wings of planes as they fly EDIT: from water vapor in the exhaust of the jets engines). Meanwhile they showed the same clips of these 'chemtrails' an obnoxious amount of times (although not necessarily relevant, was very annoying) and got guest speakers who had few credentials in the field they were discussing eg. Organic farmers from Hawaii talking about chemicals precipitating onto their crops causing crop failures. They didn't consider drought, improper crop rotations, or the dangers to organic crops in this documentary. Instead, they blamed it on fungus that was exacerbated by the aerosols increasing moisture or stressing the plants or something like that - it was poorly linked.
One major thing that bothered me was that they didn't discredit alternate theories which makes it feel like they are just another organization shoving ideas down my throat. If they had, for instance said "this drought cannot be explained by x, y, and z because they don't make sense for these reasons (and gave legitimate reasons), so chemtrail-weather modification theory must be the culprit", then I would give them more credit. But I like to keep an open mind, and although this theory was too hard for me to believe, its not hard to believe that the government is hiding things from the general public, because everyone has their secrets - I just don't think it would be anything on this scale.
Feel free to comment - prove me wrong, support my argument, etc.